Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Better Me, A Better You

A couple of weeks ago my supervisor forwarded my department this email about a free event for an IT community event.  I must be completely and totally honest, when I said I wanted to go it was half due to the fact that they were providing free lunch and the other half was because they were raffling an iPad.

They sent a million emails and with each email the event seemed to grow in length which totally discouraged me from going...only the offer of free lunch kept me motivated.  But then they hit me with the doozy that they would be serving pizza -I started the South Beach Diet about a week and a half ago and pizza is a no-no.  So at this point I was totally unmoved.

I didn't do any research on the speaker, the company or anything.  Since the majority of my department was on deck to go I didn't want to be a party pooper (or the one stuck behind to answer the phones).

This event was sooo much more than I could have ever hoped for.  I dozed off a couple of times in the beginning but then I started listening to what the speaker, Kirk Weisler, was saying.  Had I actually have researched something I signed up for, I probably would have known that it would be of some interest.  Kirk is a morale enthusiast and keeps a smile on his face.  I thoroughly enjoyed his presentation and was happy that I went...even though one of my coworkers was sitting behind me snoring. And yes I ate the pizza! But I am actually going to do a workout or two more than I usually do. And no I did not win the iPad.

On to the topics.  I jotted down a few points and would love to share them with you.  Visit his website and find all kinds of awesome material and sign up for his Thought for the Day.

His main discussion came from the movie Groundhog Day, which I hadn't seen in sooo long that I forgot all about what happened in the movie.  If you haven't seen it, check it out from your local library or get it from Netflix or Red Box or something.

Here are some of the points that I brought back with me.  Do with them what you can.  They are an inspiration for me to do better!
  • Go outside of yourself to be selfless.
  • A tree will grow as tall as it can.  Why can't humans be more like trees?
  • Everything in Nature goes for and grows for everything it possibly can ~humans are an exception.
  • 58% of our population has never read a nonfiction book past high school graduation.
  • 33% of college graduates never read another nonfiction book after receiving their degree.
  • Studying for one hour a day in your career field can make you an expert in 3 years.
  • Too many of us are just existing.  We should give up the state of human "being" for the state of human "becoming."
  • When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change.
  • We all have the ability to leave people better than the way we found them.
  • I am not my best self without effort.
And the most important value I will hold on to is:
BE POSITIVELY CONTAGIOUS
Too many of us spread negativity and ill feelings...we should start spreading smiles and positive vibes.

All of these points make sense and can help us become better people in our personal and work environments.  I hope you can use this as much as I hope to be able to.

Visit Kirk's website: http://www.kirkweisler.com/ and find many book lists and inspiring tidbits.
Kirk's daughter is also ill.  My prayers will be with him and his family.

One of the funniest commercials I think I have ever seen...It was a Super Bowl commercial in 2009:

2 comments :

  1. Look at you you little blogger! This guy sounded very inspirational and I'm glad you got a boost! Also, that video has so been me for so long. I need to find something to do that doesn't leave me screaming in my car everyday. And Poor Koala!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am finding that I scream in the car. I'm going to try to read some of the books off of his suggested readings. It was a very good session!

    ReplyDelete