Monday, November 21, 2011

Holiday Greetings!

With Thanksgiving only a few days away, the fat kid the food lover in me can't help but to get excited. Excited to spend time and fellowship with my beloved family and friends...and the beloved turkey, dressing and cranberry sauce. Thanksgiving. My favorite holiday. So as I prepare to prepare dishes for 3 different households, I must remember to be health conscious and don't over do it too much. I can just smell the green bean casserole! It seems like every time I think about being gluttonous some weight community sends me an email about how to not over do it! For these communities, I am grateful (even when I don't listen so much)! So below is a list of what I feel are the best pieces of advice (for me). I hope that you can get some use out of them too!

Many Americans will gain between 3-6 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Years Eve. It is easy to gain weight during the holidays because of all the cakes and snacks laying around the office. Not to mention your mother's favorite dishes on display.

  •  Never arrive at the gathering hungry.
  • Drink a full glass or water before and after you eat.
  • Eat plenty of vegetables.
  • Don't overload your plate.  If you put it on your plate it is likely you will eat it even if you are stuffed already.
  • Eat small portions of high fat and high calorie foods such as ham and macaroni and cheese. 
  • Eat only one small portion of desert.  One piece of cake can consist of 500 calories.
  • Wait at least an hour before you go back for seconds.
  • Reduce the amount of alcohol you drink.  Alcohol is high in calories.
  • Do not snack continuously.  It is easy to eat 700-1000 calories while socializing.
  • Exercise or walk at least 3 days a week during the holidays.
I wish you and your family Season's Greetings! I pray that you all remember what you are thankful for everyday, not just on Thanksgiving.

Blessings,
RoJo

No comments :

Post a Comment