Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Food Review - Hominy Grill

Anyone that knows me knows that I absolutely adore food! Make it tasty and I will try almost anything! And being the Southern Belle that I am...all someone had to do was mention hominy and I knew it would be a winner!

My friend Crystal was recently in Charleston, SC for a conference and she recommended that I try Hominy Grill. Grits. I love grits! I don't know many people that don't love the little grain - or whatever it is :). So I told her that the next time I was in the area I would try it.

Just as it happened...only a few days later I had to take a trip to Charleston for some medical stuff. My mom and I ventured out early that morning, took care of business and were both excited about eating lunch!

The charming restaurant was right around the corner from MUSC (where I had to go) so this pleased me even more!



It was the cutest restaurant that put me in mind of a restaurant I had visited in New Orleans. We got there I think around 12pm and it was already packed to the max. I have no qualms about rubbing elbows with strangers, but my mom isn't quite so comfortable. So if I could have changed anything it would have been the closeness of the seating. I understand they are currently finishing up some renovations at the time of this posting so maybe this is one of the changes? Who cares though...the food still is amazing!

I fought with a couple of different food options and it really took me about 10 minutes to decide what I wanted to eat. But I finally decided on a sandwich. I know what you're thinking...A SANDWICH? But yes. And I do not regret it one bit. It was grilled eggplant, herbed goat cheese with roasted red peppers and grilled red onions. Tasty.


My mom decided to try the "Big Nasty Biscuit" which was a biscuit with a fried chicken breast, cheddar cheese and sausage gravy. Now when I tell you I could have drank a whole pot of that gravy I am NOT exaggerating! It was pretty darn delicious!




Hominy Grill is one of those places that you go to, enjoy the food, and for a non-local like me, you look forward to your next visit. I frequent Charleston and have a little list of favorite restaurants...Hominy Grill is now at the top of the list!

I'm not sure when the restaurant will reopen, but the fan page on Facebook suggests that it will be very soon. I give Hominy Grill 2 thumbs and 2 big toes up! Visit them!

No comments :

Post a Comment