Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ash Wednesday-Repent and Believe in the Gospel

Usually my girls and I end up somewhere on Fat Tuesday eating Louisiana inspired dishes and drinking beer and hurricanes. This year, however, I had a horrendous stomach bug...but even without the bug I don't think I would have partaken in any of the festivities.


Instead, I made sure that I participated in the Ash Wednesday service that was held at my church and I'm glad I did. Usually the season of Lent is acknowledged by giving up something...or fasting from something. We usually fast from something (meat, sex, alcohol). While I'm not knocking anybodys hustle...we are supposed to fast from things that are essential to our lives...


Fasting, like prayer should be done in private and not for show.


Remembering a Bible Study lesson from last year, it is also acceptable to incorporate a significant change that we intend to continue after Lent. So as I sat there and listened and prayed, this is what came to me. I am giving up self-pity and this spirit of laziness that has crept up on me.


The self-pity part--I have been through a lot of stresses as of late and while they are not entirely my fault, I am going to stop feeling pitiful about them. All of them. In order to move forward I have to stop looking back. And while I haven't been turned into a pillar of salt, I do feel a sting from self-inflicted wounds...like salt is being rubbed in them while they are fresh. So letting go of yesterday. living for today and focused on making a better tomorrow.


The spirit of laziness part--sigh. As much as I would like to blame everything on my surgery, I know this is not the case. I let that self-pity part throw a party and I'm just now seeing how destructive it has been. My schedule has seriously been work, home, couch, bed and church on Sundays. Sooo not my style. I have barely even been spending time with my family...and I'm one of the biggest family oriented people I know. This too must stop.


Starting right now I strive to be a better me. I hope that you are encouraged and can be a better you. Smile because everyone has a story...and your smile might make someones day a little bit brighter.


So here are my notes from last night's sermon
God's As Is Plan
Unjust people will not enter God's Kingdom. God takes us AS IS, but we must profess Him as Lord and follow Him according to His ways, not our own.


God sees the flaws. In spite of the flaws, He loves us anyhow.


God can see what we can be. He accepts us because He knows our potential, afterall, He did design us! Only God knows who, what, and where we are supposed to be. Once we ACCEPT HIM we can receive the many great things that He has in store for us.


Scripture References
Old Testament: Joel 2: 1-2, 12-17
Epistle: 2 Corinthians 5: 20b-6:10
Gospel: Matthew 6: 1-6, 16-21


Blessings my dear readers, and as always, thank you for reading!


XOXO
RoJo

No comments :

Post a Comment