Sunday, April 15, 2012

Take It IN--Not Out


I was talking with one of my dear friends about the ups and downs of love, marriage, kids and single-womanhood.  I realized that while I am anxiously awaiting my knight in shining armor, being single certainly has its advantages. For me, I like to experiment with different foods and flavors…I realize that some people (and kids) are very picky about eating things they are unfamiliar with. Me, I will try almost anything once. So knight (whomever you may be), please be open to try new things. :)

I had to work yesterday and since I had been eating out so much I made a point to get up and pack my lunch. Well, it was a good effort. But I left my lunch bag on the counter. So I ended up buying lunch anyway. Now that I think about it…I don’t think I emptied the bag…gross (don’t judge me). But I digress, so in an effort to eat what I like, I decided to cook things I would usually get as take out. Today, I decided I wanted Chinese food. So I took to the net and found some recipes I thought would tickle my fancy. The pictures speak for themselves!!! And I only had to spend $4.16 in ingredients as I already had most of the stuff at home!





Both the rice and chicken were superb. For the rice, I used toasted sesame oil because that's what I had and I added veggies that I had on hand (and needed to be used). For the chicken, I cooked it a little longer and broiled it to get some color. Oh, for the chicken, I didn't have any cilantro so I omitted it. Otherwise, the recipes were the same. You should try it! You probably have most of the ingredients already...or maybe not lol. If you try it, let me know what you think!

Skinnytaste.com 
Servings: 6 • Size: just under 1 cup • Old Points: 4 pt • Points+: 5 pt
Calories: 202 • Fat: 5.8 g • Protein: 8.6 g • Carb: 28.5 g • Fiber: 4.3 g • Sugar: 1.1 g
Sodium: 244.1 mg (without salt)

Ingredients:

3 cups leftover cooked brown rice
2 egg whites, scrambled
1 whole egg, scrambled 
1 tbsp Smart Balance oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced 
5 scallions, chopped, whites and greens separated
1/2 cup shredded carrots
cooking spray
1 cup ready-to-eat shelled edamame
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce, tamari for gluten free (or more to taste)
salt and fresh pepper to taste

Directions:
Whisk eggs and egg whites, season with salt and pepper. In a hot wok, spray a little oil and cook the eggs. When cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
Let the wok get really hot. Add oil and cook onions, scallion whites, carrots and garlic for about 30-60 seconds, careful not to burn. Add brown rice and stir well a few minutes to heat through. Add cooked egg along with soy sauce, scallion greens and edamame, mixing well for about 3-4 minutes.  

www.jennifercooks.com

Ingredients

4 pounds chicken wing drummettes
Marinade:
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ cup Sriracha Thai hot sauce
¼ cup ketchup
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup honey
1 cup Sweet Orange Marmalade (used: Smucker’s)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled & minced
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 limes, zest and juice
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
Instructions

Place drummettes in a gallon size Ziploc bag. In a medium bowl whisk together all marinade ingredients. Pour over drummettes in bag. Press out most of the air and seal bag. Carefully toss drummettes with sauce in bag and place in refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spray a 9X13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Pour chicken and all of marinade into baking dish and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring half-way through.
*This can also be done on the grill or smoker. Keep an eye on it and watch for flare ups.

As always, thanks for reading and sharing in my experiences!
XOXO
RoJo

2 comments :

  1. These are some serious wings too Rachel! Soo good. I wanted to like drink the freaking juice off of them!

    ReplyDelete