Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Life Lessons and Bulgogi

The past two weeks have been tumultuous to say the least. This past week I traveled to Richmond, Virginia to attend an uncle's funeral and this week I will travel to Avon Park, Florida to bury another uncle. We have been dealing with a lot of death as of lately. The expected hurts just as bad as the unexpected. Please keep my family in your prayers.
In everything, I try to learn a lesson. The loss of a loved one is painful, but even in death I try to learn from every situation and circumstance. What have I learned?

  • We should live each day to the fullest. For we don't know the day or the hour that our own personal journey will end.
  • Don't forget to say I love you.
  • Treat others how you want to be treated. 
  • Preparation is everything. As painful as it may be to make preparations for your death, it can be quite burdensome and chaotic if you don't take these steps. Write a will.
  • Enjoy life while you have it to live.
I got home kind of late last night and didn't have the mental capacity to cook. So I woke up this morning and realized I didn't have anything to eat for lunch so I had to cook. Luckily this wasn't one of my "pushing time" mornings and I actually had some time to prepare something. I had taken some ground turkey breast out of the freeze yesterday with intentions of cooking something. So I had to think and cook quickly. What I decided to cook was a version of Quick Bulgogi that I found on Pinterest.
This was the first time I made it...was yummy then too :)

In my brief experience with the U.S. Army, I was stationed in Korea for 5 months. While most of my memories involve being extremely cold and unable to breathe in the thinner air...some of my best memories are of the food! My first experience with sushi was actually in Korea. We were at the Everland amusement park and it was rainy. So we ended up under a shelter with a group of school kids. I had no clue of what they were eating so I signaled with my hand to ask. The little girl replied "Kimbap" and shoved a piece in my mouth with her chopsticks. I've been hooked on sushi ever since.

This recipe is for a quick version of another one of my favorites. The original recipe requires thinly sliced beef and long marinating times. I was happy and pleased when I found this recipe because although it is a shortcut, it tastes much like the original. Here is the recipe:

Quick and Cheap Korean Beef


I substituted ground turkey for the beef and only used 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Served over brown rice and topped with scallions and sesame seeds. If I can do this before work, you can surely do it quickly as a weeknight meal! I had some brown rice already prepared in the fridge so that made it a little easier too. I also used ginger from a squeeze tube and garlic that was already chopped.

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 - 1/2 cup brown sugar (use 1/2 cup if you like it sweet)
1/4 cup soy sauce (I use low-sodium)
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1/2 - 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers (to desired spiciness)
salt and pepper
1 bunch green onions, diced (don't skip this!)

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and brown hamburger with garlic in the sesame oil. Drain most of the fat and add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, salt and pepper and red peppers. Simmer for a few minutes to blend the flavors. Serve over steamed rice and top with green onions.

The first time I made this I cooked some green beans...today I didn't have time for a vegetable so I will be sure to eat a salad for dinner :).





I doused it with sriracha :) and couldn't get this picture to rotate...

If you try this recipe, please leave a comment to let me know if you like it! Thank you for reading and I wish you happy eating!

RoJo
XOXO

No comments :

Post a Comment