Monday, July 16, 2012

Let the People Eat RIBS!!!

Last week, the week after the Fourth of July, I had a serious hankering for some ribs. And guess what? All of the BBQ places were on vacation! I felt betrayed and my feelings were really hurt. So I went on a hunt to find  a recipe so I could cook my own ribs. And I found one. "Smack Yo Mama Ribs" to be precise. Who could resist a recipe with a name like that?! Well her title for them is actually "Smack Yo Mama Finger Lickin Grand Marnier BBQ Pork Ribs." What a name!

I've cooked ribs at home before, but never do they turn out like restaurant ribs. And given the fact that snakes are in love with my neighborhood right now, I'm not cooking on the grill. Matter of fact, I'm not even going in the backyard! So this was perfect!

I didn't have a chance to try out the recipe last week, but I made the ribs yesterday for dinner. Let me tell you...I would never dream of slapping my mom...well maybe I would dream of it but I would never actually do it! LMBO!

So, I went out to gather the ingredients on Saturday. The sauce is a Grand Marnier sauce and I've never purchased the stuff. I went into the "Red Dot" to get some but quickly changed my mind. I wasn't paying 28 bucks for something I only needed 2 tablespoons of...AND I wasn't sure if I was even going to like the sauce. So I stood in the store pouting for a moment and then I realized that they had the mini bottle (YAY)! That was still over $4 and I wasn't particularly happy about spending that on such a small bottle but that was better than $28.

The recipe called for the ribs to be brined. I started the process before I left for church. There weren't any measurements so I just dumped some salt and chopped garlic in the water. I then wrapped the pan in plastic wrap then aluminum foil and left it on the counter to get it's brine on.



When I got home from church, all I smelled was garlic. This had me a little nervous...but not to worry. So then I proceeded to remove the membrane and chop the ribs into sections. I decided the sections were too long and I wasn't sure if anyone would pop over for dinner so I cut them in half...the ones without a big bone. And proceeded with the instructions to season. If you are going to use the same pan that you used for brining, be sure to rinse it out well to get the salt and garlic residue out.


Then comes the sauce...just put it all in a saucepan on high heat then reduce the heat...this is some crazy good barbecue sauce!!


From that you get...dun dun duuunnnnn


I drained off some of the liquid before I basted with the sauce. I just wanted the sauce flavor to be super concentrated. The author of this recipe didn't mention doing so, but that's what worked for me. Tender, yummy ribs. Shout out to Tamiko for letting me borrow honey so I didn't have to go to the grocery store. Call me later so you can come get your plate!

I'm a big fan of ribs. Wet, dry rub, just grilled...any way that are tender and tasty. These were tender and very tasty! I think you should try them out! And invite me to dinner!!!

This sauce would seriously be divine on ANYTHING!!! And yes you will lick your fingers...I suggest having some wet naps readily available! I served my ribs with wild rice, lima beans, and mac and cheese...all equally yummy! I definitely should have just splurged on the big bottle of Grand Marnier because this sauce is gonna be in my life forever now!



So to Utokia Langly of www.shesgotflavor.com, I thank the heavens for you and this recipe!!!


SMACK YO MAMA FINGER LICKIN GRAND MARNIER BAR-B-QUE PORK RIBS
RIB INGREDIENTS:
Nice Slab of Pork Ribs
¾ cup of chicken broth
Garlic and salt water for brining (brining means to soak in)
Sea Salt (to taste)
Ground Pepper (to taste)
Herb & Garlic seasoning (to taste)
GRAND MARNIER BAR-B-QUE SAUCE:
1 cup ketchup (I use Heinz)
¼ cup Country Dijon mustard
¼ cup honey
¾ cup brown sugar (light or dark)
3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. Grand Marnier (liquor – you can omit and add extra sugar)
1 tbsp. sea salt
1 tbsp. ground pepper
READY, SET GO:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
  2. Clean ribs
  3. Place in huge container and submerge in water and add granulated garlic and kosher salt – cover container and allow meat to brine (to soak in the garlic and salt water) for at least 1-2 hours (the longer the better – you could even let it brine overnight)
  4. Remove ribs from the brine and rinse off
  5. Lay the pork rib slab on a cutting board bone side up
  6. Remove the membrane off the bone (membrane is a super thin layer of skin on the bone – you can just put your finger under the skin and pull it off)
  7. Cut ribs into portions between each bone and season with sea salt, ground pepper and herb & garlic seasoning
  8. Pour chicken broth in a baking dish/pan (use a big enough dish/pan so you do not over crowd the ribs) and add seasoned ribs
  9. COVER and cook for 1 ½ – 2 hours or until meat is cooked through

  10. Let’s make the Grand Marnier Bar-B-Que Sauce (yeah baby)

  11. Put a medium saucepan over high heat, add the ketchup, Dijon mustard, honey, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, ground pepper and Grand Marnier
  12. Whisk sauce ingredients together, once it comes to a boil, turn it down to low to simmer for 5 minutes then set aside away from heat to thicken for about 5 minutes
  13. Once ribs are cooked remove from oven and base ribs with half of the Grand Marnier bar-b-que sauce and put ribs back in the oven for another 10 minutes UNCOVERED
  14. After 10 minutes take the ribs out again and pour the rest of the Grand Marnier bar-b-que sauce over the ribs and put back in the oven for another 10 minutes still UNCOVERED
  15. After the last 10 minutes remove ribs from oven and allow to rest untouched for 5 minutes


Hugs, Kisses and Best Dishes!!
RoJo

No comments :

Post a Comment