Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My Meatloaf Brings All The Boys To The Yard!

Everybody loves meatloaf right?! Wrong. There are way too many people that frown up at the mere mention of a loaf of meat. Me on the other hand, I've always loved meatloaf...when properly cooked. Most of the people that don't like meatloaf probably had a really bad childhood experience where their parents forced them to eat a crunchy meatloaf that tasted like it was made from dog food. Sound familiar?

One of my best friends refused to eat meatloaf. Until we were roommates. I convinced her that my meatloaf would change her mind and remove the scars that her mother had planted (Shout out to Sandra) LOL. I'm sure I had to offer to pay for a meal if she didn't like the meatloaf, but I don't remember. Nonetheless, she liked it and today she even makes her own meatloaf!

A few of my friends and associates have offered to pay me to guide them through cooking various meals. Until we can schedule those classes, I say read my blog and try the recipes. If you can't successfully follow a recipe, we have a bigger problem!

This picture refuses to rotate for me so we will leave it as is LOL
A few people have mentioned that they love my meatloaf so I'll give up my secret...only because I love my readers! Just a note, I like my veggies chunky so I do a large dice.

RoJo's Meatloaf 

1.3 pounds of ground turkey (this is the size of the package I buy)
1 small onion, diced 
1 bell pepper, diced
1 can of Italian diced tomatoes, drained
1 package of meatloaf seasoning (can be found on the spice aisle)
2 cloves chopped garlic
2 medium eggs, beaten with 1/4 cup milk
Breadcrumbs, I use plain

Topping
2 tablespoons of prepared mustard
2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup

Preheat oven to 350
Mix first 6 ingredients in a bowl
Add beaten eggs/milk and mix well
Add breadcrumbs until the mixture is no longer runny ( I think I used half a cup)



I like to use a baking rack inside of a pan so that the juices can drain. Line a baking rack with aluminum foil. Poke holes in the foil so that the juices can drain as the meatloaf cooks. Spray the foil with non-stick spray.
Shape the loaf into your desired shape (on the rack). Mine is usually egg shaped. (One of my coworkers just walked up and said my meatloaf was just alright...but I think he doesn't care for ground turkey).
Make sure your loaf is shaped evenly so that it cooks evenly.



Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
While the meatloaf is baking, mix the ingredients for the topping.
Take the loaf out of the oven, cover with topping mixture and bake for another 25 minutes
Take the loaf out of the oven and let it rest...this is a very important step!
Serve with your favorite sides. I chose garlic herb mashed potatoes, glazed carrots and collard greens.


This recipe can really be made your own. It is a great starter recipe and if you don't like ground turkey, substitute for beef...or pork...or chicken lol.

Sending Chocolate Kisses
XOXO
RoJo

No comments :

Post a Comment