Tuesday, April 9, 2013

CURRY Me Ova!

One of the joys of being pregnant is how taste buds have a mind of their own. This past Sunday, I woke up about 4am hungry. I knew I wanted something smothered...but couldn't work it out with the taste buds so I went back to sleep. About 7am I got up and decided that I had better find SOMETHING to cook for dinner that would please my palate. What did I come up with? Curry Chicken. But it was nearing time for me to get ready for church so it was going to have to go in the crockpot.

I had never made curry in a crockpot. Actually my curry making experiences could be counted on a few fingers. I had never made it and LOVED it so it wasn't often attempted. Hence this brand new package of Curry Powder that was in my cabinet...for um...a while.
I LOVE World Market!

I actually didn't notice it was HOT until I took this picture. Glad I didn't have a scotch bonnet to throw in there because I would have not been able to eat it. And that would have been a sin and a shame!

I scoured my pantry to see what I had that would work for this dish. And here is what I came up with

4-5 small potatoes, peeled and diced
1 can of Cream of Mushroom 
1 small onion, diced
1 cup of shredded carrots
1/2 of a bell pepper, diced
3 teaspoons of Curry Powder
1 cup chicken broth (I used low sodium)
1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
Pinch of salt (but season to your own liking-I'm not a big salt fan)
4 tablespoons of butter
2 cloves of chopped garlic

Now mix all of that in the bowl of your crockpot. I highly recommend using those crockpot liner bags, but I didn't have one so in the crock it went.

This wasn't everything...but you see, just dump it in there

I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They were they ones that you can buy in a bag frozen. I love those. I usually use these because they are perfect for crockpot cooking and you don't have to worry about thawing them. One of my chicken breasts was HUGE so I only used two. Normally I would have cubed the chicken had it been thawed, but this was frozen solid in the deep freezer. So I just placed the chicken on top of the mixed up ingredients and sprinkled it with more curry powder. If I had known how hot this HOT CURRY POWDER was, I probably would have skipped that sprinkling. 


Now, everybody is in the pool and ready to play! I turned my crock on low because it was the first Sunday and I had no clue what time I would be getting back home. It cooked for about 7 hours on low without any stirring or anything (I ran some errands after church).

Once I got home, I took the chicken out and shredded it using two forks and put it back in, being sure to stir it up. Then I put my rice in the rice cooker (I use brown rice) and steamed a few heads of broccoli. Once the rice was done, it was on!

I will be honest...I was nervous about the outcome but it smelled so good I just wanted to drink it. Again, this was my first time making curry in the crockpot. But at this point there was no turning back because I was hungry! Y'all. Let me tell you something...this was one of the best curry chicken dishes I have ever had! I was so pleased with myself I did a little dance! Serve it over hot rice and remember to eat your veggies! 
Don't go judging my plate choice!

Now if you try this, be sure to let me know what you think! I don't know the last time I actually came up with my own recipe, but I was glad for this one! It will be here to stay!

XOXO
RoJo

1 comment :

  1. "Glad I didn't have a scotch bonnet to throw in there because I would have not been able to eat it. And that would have been a sin and a shame!"
     
    It would have been a sin and a shame to throw a scotch bonnet chili in to a curry recipe. A curry is a curry - there is no need for chili to be included.

    ReplyDelete