Thursday, November 14, 2013

This Beat is Bananas!

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
(Gwen Stefani reference) LOL

Howdy folks! I hope that everyone is not freezing like I am! Columbia has to have some of the craziest weather in the world! This morning on my way to work it was 25 freaking degrees! By Sunday, it will be in the mid 70's. Ridiculous!
My little snuggle bunny @ Cowboy Brazilian Steakhouse

Cold weather brings out the necessity to eat comfort foods. Chilies, stews, bread, etc. For me, it's been sweets! Any kind. Almond Snickers bars, Skittles, Cookies, Cake...and Banana Pudding! I know it's not a food that warms the soul, but it makes me happy!

We recently had a "How-To" festival at work and there were stations set up all around the library. There were demonstrations on camping, packing for a hike, how to tie ties, resume building and a whole bunch of other stuff. I was asked to demonstrate a no bake banana pudding. Awesome right?! Yes! At first, I wanted to try Paula Deen's recipe because she uses Pepperidge Farm's Chessmen cookies (which I have started a very intense love affair with). But for her recipe, I think it's a must that it chills after you make it. So I decided to go with the recipe I already know and use at home. It was shared with me from a friend in Houston a few years ago and has been my go-to ever since. The best part about it, if all the ingredients are chilled, you can eat it immediately!

Even though only two people sat through my demonstration, they really enjoyed it! Others came only to grab a sample (which was fine too) and I made sure to give them a copy of the recipe.

So here goes, a no bake Banana Pudding that is simply DELISH!

Jocelyn's Banana Pudding

2 (small) boxes of sugar free instant vanilla pudding
3 cups 2% milk
1 can fat free sweetened condensed milk
1 8 oz container of Cool Whip Free (thawed)
Vanilla Wafers - as much as you like
Bananas - as many as you like

I use 1 box Nilla Wafers and usually 3-4 medium bananas. But you can pile on as many (or as few) as you like. I've made this without bananas and it was loved by those that don't eat bananas. You could even use some sliced strawberries...yum.
Sorry for the crappy photos!

Now for the directions

Mix pudding with 3 cups of milk. Add sweetened condensed milk. Fold in whipped topping until. Layer as follows:
-          cookies
-          bananas
-          pudding mixture

 Repeat layers
I like to crumble a few cookies on top for presentation.

Refrigerate as long as desired (if you use cold ingredients, you can eat immediately). 

I used the fat free/sugar free versions because I try to make it as "good for you" as possible and I usually eat a bunch! You really can't tell the difference with the substitutions, but you can make it with the full fat/sugar versions of each ingredient as you'd like. I've also made this pudding using almond milk. The only difference with that was once the pudding and milks were mixed, I had to let it chill in the refrigerator a while to set up, but it was still delicious!


Sample cups with recipe cards 
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it! It's perfect for the holidays!
Season's Eatings!!!
RoJo

No comments :

Post a Comment