Friday, January 31, 2014

Sometimes Simpler is Better

You know how you have a taste for something and just don't know what exactly it is that you have a taste for? I go through this all the time. My taste buds tell me "We want something good!" I usually have a hard time searching through my fridge to find something good that will be easy to prepare. So I just wanted to give you guys two tips that I found to be GOOD!

The first is for "Perfect Salmon." I found this on Pinterest and can't find the source, but I remembered it in my head...shocking since most of the time I feel scatter brained these days lol.



And it really doesn't get any simpler.
Cover the Salmon with olive oil, salt and pepper
Place in a cold oven and set the temperature to 400
Let the Salmon cook for 25 minutes
BOOM PERFECTLY COOKED DELICIOUS SALMON!

See, I told you, EASY! It really is delicious! This was a huge piece that I could have used for two or three servings. But I ate it all in one! Just that good!

This next one came out of sheer jealousy. My friend told me she had cooked her a steak. And that's all it took. I wanted a steak! So on my next trip to the Commissary I picked up some good ones...don't remember the cut.
This tip comes from The Rising Spoon

Preheat the oven to 450
Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper to taste (or use your favorite seasoning blend)
Let the steaks come to room temperature (about 45 minutes)
Heat a cast iron skillet to medium-high and add 1 tablespoon of oil (I used EVOO)
Open a window, turn on the vent fan or whatever you need to do for ventilation...it gets smoky
Place steaks in the pan (they will sizzle) and DON'T MOVE THEM for 2 minutes
Flip the steaks and don't move for another 2 minutes
If you want the sides seared, hold the steaks with tongs on each side for about 30 seconds
Transfer the pan to the oven and let it cook for 4-5 minutes for medium. If you want medium rare or rare, cook for 2-4 minutes. Allow more time for thicker cuts.
You may want to use a meat thermometer to get your desired temperature.
Remove the steaks from the oven and take them out of the skillet...to a cutting board and cover loosely with foil
Allow the steaks to rest for about 10 minutes
Serve it how you like it! With a baked potato, sliced over a salad, or do what I did...

I had intended to put on a pat of butter...but then I broke off a piece of steak and couldn't stop eating it! I stood at the counter and ate an entire steak. Don't judge! LOL


Wishing you happy eatings!
RoJo

No comments :

Post a Comment