Monday, April 14, 2014

After the RadioIodine Treatment

It has now been over a week since I had the RAI treatment. I realize that everyone is different and all dosage is determined by your doctor for your specific issue. With that being said, my thyroid was 6 times the normal size. My doctor decided my dosage accordingly. He gave me my instructions (did not tell me to stay away from my daughter for 2 weeks). This was the question that I asked about 5 times to be sure I heard him right. The internet is not always your friend. Your doctor's instructions are what should be followed! I understand that this treatment has been used for over 50 years, but just as other things evolve, I'm sure this therapy has done the same. That is to everyone that questions me being around my daughter after 5 days. I listened to my doctor. There. Thanks for caring.

Here are a list of the symptoms of Graves' Disease:
Common signs and symptoms of Graves' disease include:


  • Anxiety
  • Irritability
  • Difficulty sleeping
  • Fatigue
  • A rapid or irregular heartbeat
  • A fine tremor of your hands or fingers
  • An increase in perspiration or warm, moist skin
  • Sensitivity to heat
  • Weight loss, despite normal eating habits
  • Enlargement of your thyroid gland (goiter)
  • Change in menstrual cycles
  • Erectile dysfunction or reduced libido
  • Frequent bowel movements or diarrhea
  • Bulging eyes (Graves' ophthalmopathy)
  • Thick, red skin usually on the shins or tops of the feet (Graves' dermopathy)
I had 95% of the symptoms (I'll spare you the details), but did not think anything of it. If your body is trying to tell you something, listen! Seek medical attention. I'm glad I went when I did, but I wish I had gone sooner. This can cause a lot of serious problems if not treated. 
Dr. Blue suggested that I get some lemon drops to keep my salivary glands going so that my throat wouldn't hurt too bad. I looked in two stores and couldn't find them so I ordered this bag from Amazon.com.


Did I need this much? probably not but I stay on the side of caution. He also told me that I would probably not have any symptoms, but in case any should arise- take Immodium for uspet stomach, and take an over the counter pain reliever for any pain. I am still sucking on lemon drops because I still have a little tingling in my throat. I had to take Ibuprofen a couple of times for headaches and I HAVE TO eat like every 4 hours. otherwise I get dizzy (still happens). I am now taking Lopressor 3 times a day for my heart rate, which it controls pretty good. For about 3 days I was so tired, I didn't want to stand. I had a tummy ache for 5 days! I feel better now and have more energy. 

I return in a few weeks to have my blood drawn to check my thyroid level. Hopefully all will be well and I don't get hypothyroidism, but that's usually what happens after the RAI. And in that case, I will have to take a hormone for the rest of my life. A lot of the symptoms that I had before are still present, but not as out of control.

As I said earlier, I kept my baby away for 5 days, even though I was told I didn't have to. I was told I could just keep her away from my neck and bodily fluids and she would be fine. I decided on 5 days because I still wasn't feeling too hot.

I cannot control my body temperature so I can't work out-except for casually walking. If I don't take the Lopressor, my heart will jump all the way out of my chest. I really have to make sure I eat enough. If I don't I'll get super dizzy, which is no fun.

I am so jealous of people that don't have medical issues! Seems like I get rid/control of one thing and get diagnosed with something else. But this too shall pass and I know that God is on my side. 

Thank you for your prayers!
RoJo

**I am not a doctor and cannot give reliable medical advice. This pertains only to my experience. If you feel you need medical attention, please contact your doctor or go to your nearest emergency room. This blog post is in no way intended to be a diagnosis.**

No comments :

Post a Comment