Monday, May 5, 2014

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Hey folks!

Usually our crew gets together to enjoy margarita drinking and taco eating for Cinco de Mayo. We didn't get together last year, but this year we did. We celebrated on Saturday since the actual "holiday" is today. And boy did we have a good time! It was potluck...not necessarily Mexican food themed but all of the food was yummy and delicious. Although I did not take a picture of the dish I made, I wanted to share it with you anyway, in honor of this fun time.

Honestly I was a little skeptical because the original recipe didn't have any meat. I'm a carnivore (ROAR) and decided to add a little meat. It was a hit. 6 of us ladies ate almost an entire aluminum turkey roaster pan. You know the kind you use so you don't have to do dishes?

Everyone enjoyed it and I was glad! We had watermelon margaritas, mango margaritas, and some red Moscato (which I think is my new favorite) and somewhere in there came a few tequila shots! I haven't much been the drinker since having Baby Magic, but since she was spending the night with her grandparents, I said what the heck?!

It was great to spend time with the gals since we don't have much time to do that these days. On the menu was Tam's Spinach Dip, Step's Pasta Salad, Niq's Make Your Own Burritos, Chrissy's Fruit and Meat and Cheese trays, and Ro's Taco Dip.

The original recipe can be found here: http://www.theliveinkitchen.com/2013/06/07/taco-dip/

I doubled the recipe and added the chicken...my version is below (again, sorry no pictures).

Taco Dip
8 ounces sour cream
8 ounces cream cheese
2 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons taco seasoning (I used Old El Paso)
1 cup shredded lettuce (I used Romaine)
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 can of black olives
1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno (jarred and use a little juice)
3 chicken breasts, seasoned with taco seasoning, onions and bell peppers. Sauteed and Shredded, cooled

Mix sour cream and cream cheese with a mixer until smooth. Add taco seasoning and jalapenos and mix until well incorporated. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Spread the mixture in a dish (or aluminum pan). Top with Chicken, Tomato, Olives, Lettuce and Cheese. Add any other toppings you like on your taco. Serve with tortilla chips.

*I put the tomatoes under the lettuce so the lettuce doesn't get soggy*

Enjoy!

This was a very easy recipe to make and it was yummy! Try it and let me know how you like it!

Happy Cinco de Mayo!
RoJo


No comments :

Post a Comment