Thursday, October 9, 2014

6 Month Follow Up

Hi folks!
It has now been roughly six months since I was diagnosed with Graves' Disease and had Radioactive Iodine Therapy. I went in last week for labs and a followup. As my friend and coworker Amy is going through this same situation, it is very interesting to compare how this illness affects us differently.

Amy is a need to know kind of girl and I just go with the flow. I know I should take a little more concern while dealing with my health, but is it so bad to just trust the doctor? I actually had to remove myself from one of the Facebook groups I joined because people were 1. depressing the hell out of me and 2. blaming EVERYTHING on Graves' Disease...and it irritated me. I know there are a lot of issues when it comes to autoimmune disease, trust that I know. I'm living this crap myself.

Anyway, I've digressed. Amy (I want to be like her when I grow up) knows her levels and reads her lab reports. I, on the other hand, always intend to get a copy of my lab results and then I forget. So, I'm vowing that the next time I visit the hospital I'm going to get all of them and see how they compare to hers. She did get me to start taking some Calcium plus D vitamins...and sometimes I remember to take them lol. It sucks not being able to take all of your meds with the Synthroid, so much gets neglected.

One of my biggest complaints this time around was my anxiety level is so high that it's disrupting my sleep. Like I'm on 10 ALL THE TIME! ALL THE TIME! His prognosis...my Synthroid dosage is too high. I was taking 137mcg and he lowered it to 125. It's been a week. I don't notice a difference yet, but I guess this will take some time.

At this very moment I am exhausted. I don't know when that changes. I guess when I start getting some sleep lol. I was up at 3 because the baby woke up and then I couldn't get back to sleep. But I wasn't in a deep sleep even before that.

I've also learned that a lot of people I associate with suffer from autoimmune illnesses. It makes you realize just how cruel the world can be about situations you don't know. I remember a girl that I went to high school with had bulging eyes. Kids didn't know what the hell a thyroid was and I remember she got picked on. For something that was totally out of her control. I didn't pick at her, but I never told other folks to cool it either. My heart goes out to everyone that has to deal with illnesses. Especially those that have people that aren't understanding and don't believe them when they say they are in pain...or that they didn't mean to flip out (hello Graves' rage).

When I get my results, I'll share them. Otherwise, I go back in December for more blood work and a follow-up.

Wishing you all a healthy, happy fall season! I know I'm glad it is starting to cool off a bit!

XOXO
RoJo

No comments :

Post a Comment