Monday, November 3, 2014

This Little Chick! Halloween 2014

How was every one's Halloween? I saw a lot of shade on Facebook about people "celebrating" Halloween. I never understand why people have to be so vocal about things they don't believe in. They aren't nearly as vocal about the things they do believe in. To each their own and SO WHAT if some of us dressed up and took our kids out to get candy?! My crew happened to have a swell little time. What you and your house do is your business...but please stop telling the rest of us what we should and shouldn't be doing. Thanks.

Have you ever read your kid(s) This Little Chick by John Lawrence? Well, Trinity loves this book...even if her mommy doesn't sing it quite right LOL. For Halloween I decided that I wanted her to be a chicken. This was premeditated maybe a month, without doing any Pinterest searching prior to. I had a vision in my head and what do you know, my girl Martha Stewart had a tutorial on it! I love it when things come together easily for me and I don't have to figure stuff out. I was actually planning on buying individual feathers and hand gluing them to something! Boy was I NOT thinking!


Thanks to Martha for having the brilliant idea to use boas! I'm very pleased to say that my little chick's costume was handmade by her mommy! I was so nervous that she was not going to like the costume. I thought she would run away. But she LOVED it! I should have known the girl would love dressing up like her mommy does. I had a backup costume in the car just in case... And this only cost me around $9 so BOOM!

My initial plan was to pin the boas to a no sleeve onesie and then put that one over a long sleeve onesie. BUT the temperature dropped like crazy so I ended up pinning the boas to an old white jacket. It turned out beautifully and she didn't run! The tights I bought from Walmart, thick, white cotton and I died them with kool-aid. The feet, I found an image online and traced it on orange felt, then velcroed the back closed. The combs I free handed, stuffed with cotton balls and hot glued it closed. I hand stitched it to a headband (also purchased from Walmart) and made another and safety pinned it to the hood of the jacket. Boogie is not a fan of headbands so this was a backup that ended up being the only option used.

The jacket before

The shoe covering. Image from http://duckfootbeer.com/

I pinned on the inside of the jacket


I made sure to put her in many layers so she wouldn't be cold and she seemed fine. I think she was excited to be hanging out with her big cousins. I was very pleased with the way it turned out. Martha Stewart suggests using two onesies and stuffing them and stitching them together. I wasn't that ambitious for something that wasn't going to be worn very long. And she didn't need any extra stuffing. I used 4 feather boas that I bought from the Dollar Tree. They are smaller than what you get at a craft store, but they are $1 each and not $8.99 each. But man they SHED BAD! Feathers are still all over the place.
This little chick gave me so much life!

Boogie and her Grandpa

 

Dancing the Funky Chicken!
I also had the pleasure of dressing my nieces and their friend as "Monster High" girls. I had to look this up and did my best with squirming 6-8 year olds who seemingly ate the makeup off their faces before I could get it on there good! But they loved their hair (done by my mom), makeup and tutus (done by me). The tutus were no sew and I used ribbon for the waistbands. My suggestion...skip any tulle with glitter! OMG I'm still seeing glitter everywhere too!

Welcome to Monster High!

Frankie Stein

Skelita Calaveras

Draculaura
We had a great time and it was good to spend time hanging out with my family. The weekend even welcomed snow...Yep South Carolina set a record with that one. Even the meteorologists were surprised!

Now, I get to eat all of the candy she collected HEHEHEHEHE!!!!!

Wishing you all the best,
RoJo



No comments :

Post a Comment