Monday, June 22, 2015

Happy Summer 2015!

Hey y'all!
Well, it's officially Summer! If you are in South Carolina you know the heat hit us a few weeks ago and has not shown any signs of letting up! I've been staying in the house as much as possible because I can't deal! We've been having 100 degree temps. It's like 80 degrees at 7am! And why does it get light outside at like 5:45am?!

Ok enough of my rant LOL! I just came to wish you all a happy and safe summer. I hope everyone gets to take a fabulous vacation and that nobody has a heat stroke or gets bitten by a shark! For real.

I also want to share a recipe. I haven't done that in a long time huh? Well, yesterday was Father's Day. And I asked my dad on Friday what he wanted to have for dinner, thinking he would say "Whatever you feel like cooking." But that didn't happen. He said "I want some crab legs, some fish, some shrimp, corn on the cob and sausage." Well, at least he had the menu down for me.

Boogie and I skipped church because she is battling some nasty virus and I didn't want to risk getting anyone else sick. And because my dad said he wanted to eat right after church. Like really dude? This guy is insane!

But being the awesome and magnificent daughter that I am, I obliged. I made him a Low Country Boil, Red Rice, Lemon Herb Flounder and Crab Legs. Everything was delicious! I think he is surprised every time I make him something that he hasn't had, or I put a little spin on it. It's like every meal I cook I'm trying to convince him that I'm a decent enough cook LOL. I ain't playing y'all. But he was very appreciative and HE ATE LOL.



Find the recipe HERE





The recipe I want to share is for Red Rice. Some of you may be thinking "what in the world is red rice?" It's a traditional dish in Charleston, SC. In my own little way, acknowledging the city in this truly heartbreaking time.

For years I have been visiting Charleston to indulge in the food. If I'm at a restaurant that serves red rice, I'm ordering it. I've made it a few times in the past, but this time I think I hit it out the park with a combination of recipes and just knowing what I like it to taste like.

RoJo's Red Rice

Ingredients
6 slices of bacon
2 medium onions, diced small
1 bell pepper, diced small
1 stalk celery, diced small
1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 cups water
2 cups raw long grain white rice
1 pound smoked sausage, sliced

Directions
Preheat oven to 350
Fry the bacon, remove from the pan and reserve the bacon grease
Saute' the onions, bell pepper and celery in the bacon grease
On medium high heat, add tomato paste, salt, pepper, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and water to the pan. Stir well and cook uncovered for 5 minutes
Add rice and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently
Pour mixture into an oven safe pan
Crumble bacon
Add bacon and smoked sausage to the mixture and combine well
Cover the dish with foil and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until rice is cooked through

See, easy peasy! A few notes, cook the bacon in a pan with high sides so that the mixture won't splatter too badly or run over the sides once you add everything to the pot. I have used brown rice in the past, but I can't remember if I used more liquid to compensate for the longer cooking time. My rice took about 42 minutes to cook in the oven.

As always, let me know if you try this recipe and if you like it!
Happy Summer!

RoJo

No comments :

Post a Comment