Thursday, November 19, 2015

Fall Catch Up

Hey guys!

I know it's been a while (sigh). What can I say? Life has been super busy! I've been working crazy long days at work, trying to find a new house, dealt with losing all of my furniture in the catastrophic floods that took over Columbia last month. Oh and my sister got married! So yeah, life has been just a tad busy!

It's. Been. A. Lot. But I have a tremendous support system that have been getting me through. I swear my friend Amy has a link to my brain to know when I don't have lunch (and breakfast) and she magically shows up with food.

Let's start with little Baby Magic...who isn't so little anymore! For a few weeks she regressed with potty training. I mean she was jut peeing everywhere. That has calmed down tremendously, but now she doesn't say when she has to go. She's just holding it until she's about to explode. So I'm working on that again. She's growing and learning and speaking new sentences daily. I asked her for some money and she said "I don't have any money mommy. You have it!." And I laughed. She is truly my joy!

I saw my Endocrinologist last month too. And guess what?! I'm finally at the correct level of Synthroid! WOOHOO! That has been a journey. How do I feel? Still a bit tired...I still go to bed early. I still take Calcium + D because if I don't my bones hurt. A lovely ER doctor told me I was entirely too young for that... Why was I at the ER? Because I got bit by a spider of some sort and it was trying to take me out from the inside!

House business...I've found several houses that I like a lot. In the neighborhood that I'm looking, the houses are old and all need work. If they don't need work, I can't afford them. Don't you just love that? One house I negotiated for about 2 months. Torturous. And the seller decided he was going to fix it up and relist it in the Spring. Joy. This current one I've been negotiating for a few weeks...my realtor has been negotiating for a few weeks. I would get screwed over on so many levels if it weren't for him. He's God sent! (Happy Birthday Ken!)

This house isn't my dream house, but maybe when I win Publisher's Clearing House I can make it out to be. But I like it a lot and I'm praying that things work out. Y'all pray for me too! It needs work that I hope I can get done before we move in but I'll keep you posted on all of that (pinky promise).

I won't talk much about the flood because either you lived through it with us or you saw it on the tube. A lot of folks are still trying to recover and my heart goes out to all affected. My stuff was in storage and the entire storage facility flooded. Then we got emails that we had to have anything we could salvage out of there so they could begin to repair the facility. It wasn't fun, but again...that support system stepped in and stepped up and diverted my mental breakdown.

My bestie reminded me yesterday that yearly, usually in the fall, I become obsessed with something food related. She is so right lol. This year, my obsession is Pho (pronounced FUH!). I remember in my partying days, this was a magic hangover cure! I've eaten it 3 times in the past week. No lie. So, let me share a recipe from Damn Delicious that has become my favorite for Cheater Pho. If you have never had authentic, please visit your local Vietnamese restaurant!

From Pho Viet in Columbia

My first homemade attempt-couldn't find beansprouts

2nd attempt-got the bean sprouts!
Here is the recipe from Damn Delicious. I used rotisserie chicken from Bi-Lo the first time and leftover roasted chicken the second, so I deviated a little from her recipe, but the results were still yummy and boogie LOVES this!


Cheater Pho (Asian Noodle Soup)
Prep Time 15 minutes

Cook Time 15 minutes

Total Time 30 minutes

Yield 4 servings

With this simplified version, you can have homemade pho on your table in 30 min or less. It doesn't get any easier!

Ingredients

8 ounces dried rice noodles
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
6 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoons fish sauce
For the garnishes
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 cups bean sprouts
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
2 limes, halved

Instructions

In a large pot of water, cook rice noodles according to package instructions; drain well and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Add chicken to the stockpot and cook until golden, about 2-3 minutes; set aside.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the stockpot. Add garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
Whisk in chicken stock, hoisin sauce and fish sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve immediately with rice noodles and chicken, garnished with onion, bean sprouts, cilantro, mint, jalapeno and limes, if desired.

Let me know if you try it and like it!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

XOXO
RoJo

No comments :

Post a Comment