Thursday, April 14, 2016

Fajita Stuffed Chicken

Recipe videos have become very popular on Facebook. And guess what? I fall victim at least every other week. Normally I don't have a chance to take pictures during the process of preparing...but last night I at least managed to get pictures while it was cooking and before hungry hands dug in!
I saw this recipe from Tasty for Fajita Stuffed Chicken. Who wouldn't want to try that? Even without the video I think the name alone would have been enough to make me want to try it. So I watched the video a few times, made my grocery list and made it for dinner. 

I made the recipe with 6 chicken breasts of different sizes. Using the measurements given, I still had extra cheese/veggies. BUT I also am challenged at properly cutting a "pocket" for the stuffing LOL. So some had more stuffing than others.



I sauteed the veggies in a skillet as the recipe states, but because I didn't feel like standing over the stove too long, I used an electric griddle to cook all the chicken breasts at once.

I've seen many debates and comments on how long to cook the chicken. The recipe states to cook the chicken for 5 minutes on each side. I did that and my chicken was still raw, so I put it in a baking dish, covered it loosely with foil (so it wouldn't dry out) and baked it until the chicken was done.I threw the remaining cheese and veggies on top before I stuck it in the oven. I have no clue how long I left it in there! But I baked it at 350 until the chicken was cooked all the way through. Ain't nobody got time for Salmonella poisoning.


It was messy, but it was delicious! It was juicy and flavorful. The peppers and onions were my favorite part. I also used low fat cream cheese and a low fat Mexican cheese blend (purchased from Aldi) instead of full fat cheese. I served it with brown rice and black beans. We ate it LOL. 

Here is the recipe and instructions from Buzzfeed.

INGREDIENTS

Makes 3.
2 Tablespoons canola oil (for veggies)
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 onion, diced 
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces cream cheese
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup diced pepper jack cheese
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin 
2 teaspoons garlic powder
3 Tablespoons canola oil (for chicken)
Salsa, sour cream, and guacamole for serving
The ingredient list has been updated to clarify the use of the canola oil.

PREPARATION

Heat the canola oil in a pan over high heat. Cook the peppers, onion, salt, and pepper until soft and slightly caramelized. Transfer the cooked veggies to a bowl.
In the same bowl, mix in the cream cheese, cheddar, and pepper jack, stirring until evenly incorporated. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, combine the chicken with the salt, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder, evenly distributing the spices over the chicken.
On a cutting board, slice a pocket in the chicken horizontally and fill the pocket with a heaping spoonful of the veggie mixture. Press the edges of the chicken together to seal in the filling. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
Heat the canola oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook the stuffed chicken for five minutes on each side, until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through.
Serve with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole!

XOXO
RoJo

No comments :

Post a Comment