Saturday, April 22, 2017

Too Many Eggs In One Basket

I have a confession...

As much as I LOVE to cook and experiment...I can't boil an egg to save my life. Or cook rice (without the assistance of a rice cooker). There. You now know what keeps me up at night (joke).

With Easter gone, I'm often left to figure out what to do with all the eggs. I mean, I love eggs...but only so much. I usually ask my sister to boil them for me because I always either under cook them, or over cook them...or tear them to shreds trying to peel them. I am the person that goes in the grocery store and buys the eggs that are already boiled and peeled because I suck lol.

And yes, I've tried every method on Pinterest (including the oven baked ones) and still I manage to not get it quite right. I'm OK with this mostly. Tonight, out of somewhere around 24 eggs, I only managed to mangle like 4...I ate one.

Anyways, on Easter I never made it around to dying the eggs so I left 18 home and still managed to bring home at least another dozen. I ate some for breakfast and cut some others up on salads. Today I looked in my fridge and figured I'd better do something with the remainders so they didn't go to waste.

I love pickles. Hot, sour, sweet, dill. I love them all. Growing up I ate almost everything I came across pickled. Pig feet, eggs, hot sausages, almost everything. As I've gotten older I've cut out the pig feet and only occasionally will eat a hot sausage. I haven't had a pickled egg in years. Off to Pinterest I went to find a suitable recipe. I hope it's suitable anyway.

I had taken an empty pickle jar from my sister's house (the same one that boils my eggs) and sterilized it (washed it thoroughly and boiled it). It took me forever to peel the eggs! No lie! The brine smells so good though. I used the recipe from Damn Near 40 (2011) and modified it a bit.

Have you ever been to a bar with pickled eggs and sausage? Me neither, but I've seen it on tv and always thought it would be something I'd like, so I gave it a go. I literally just put the brine on the eggs, so they will have to sit for a few days before I can let you know how they turn out, but I have high hopes!

My modifications were: I didn't have fresh garlic so I used chopped garlic that I had for all of the garlic; I added already pickled jalapenos because they seemed like a good idea; I added red pepper flakes; and I used smoked turkey sausage. The sizes of my eggs varied, so I'm not sure how many I actually got in there.

What do you do with your leftover eggs?



Pickled Eggs


INGREDIENTS:

18 boiled eggs, peeled

1 large onion, chopped into large pieces

1 "rope" length link or 4 bun length links fully cooked sausage of your choice, sliced

3 cloves of garlic, peeled and left whole

2 cloves of garlic, chopped

2 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

3 cups water 

2 Tbsp pickling spice

3 bay leaves

INSTRUCTIONS:

Layer peeled eggs, sausage slices, whole garlic cloves, and onion in 3 quart jars or one gallon jar.  In a medium sauce pan, combine vinegar, water, and pickling spice. Bring to a boil and add chopped garlic and bay leaves.  Remove from heat and pour hot mixture into jar(s). Seal and refrigerate for 5 days to 2 weeks before serving.  ENJOY!!
XOXO
RoJo

2 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had pickled eggs or sausage in Forever! Let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete