Thursday, August 10, 2017

The Year of 34

For my birthday, I did nothing. This is what I wanted. Not to be stressed about plans or money or coordinating people. I baked myself a cake and sent a text to my family telling them I was going to Red Robin for dinner and that they were welcome to join me. I told them a time. They were still late. This is why I didn’t want fancy plans. I didn’t want a party because I wanted to go to bed when I was ready to go to bed. I also didn’t want to send my daughter away because of an adult gathering. I wanted to celebrate with her. So we went to dinner and everyone came back to my house and had cake…and a few libations.

There may be a shameful video or two circulating the social media world.

I did my usual rounds of birthday eatings. This always makes me happy. That trip to Red Robin was because of the free burger. Some of the perks changed this year. You have to download an app, or you no longer get a free meal, but instead you get a cookie. Some remained unchanged. See the previous birthday lists here and here.

The surprises were from Ulta…they gave a free NYX eyeshadow palette that I love and Jewelry Warehouse gave $10 off of $25.

I ate (and am still eating) a lot of free and discounted food! The coupons rolled in a week before, instead of two weeks. Some restaurants changed the time that you have to use the coupons so that was a plus. For instance, instead of having to come on your birthday to Jersey Mike’s, they now give you a full year to use the coupon!

My theme song was 2 Chainz Birthday Song. I had never seen the video until on my birthday. I put it on repeat.

The cake. THE CAKE. Was the ish! I planned this thing for a few weeks. And I loved the turn out!

From the depths of my soul, I appreciated every visitor, every phone call, every text message, every Facebook and Instagram post, every gift, and every thought. When people love you (or like you a little bit) they certainly know how to make you feel good. I love my squad!

Cake recipe was from Baking A Moment. I followed her directions for the cake and frosting then I added the ganache and the adornments from a picture I drew in my head. It worked. The chocolate covered strawberries were dipped in melted chocolate (dark chocolate pound plus bar from Trader Joe's), I got the chocolate covered almonds from Aldi, the macarons, chocolate "chip thins" and chocolate covered marshmallows from Trader Joe's as well. The gold accents were from edible gold spray that I had left over from a cake pop order. I probably won't make the cake again...well not Swiss Meringue Buttercream, but it was sooo delicious so I might change my mind!





I think I'm going to make it my mission to make all birthdays stress free! Maybe throw a massage or two in the mix.


XOXO
RoJo

No comments :

Post a Comment